Transphobic Me

When I see a person,
With stubble on her face,
Caked in make-up,
Wearing Kurti or Saree,
I whisper to myself,
“Be brave.”

I put my brave face on,
Clutch my bag,
And scurry past her,
As fast as I can,
I don’t even wait,
To spare a second glance.

And if she approaches me,
I’ll swallow my fear,
Be respectful and polite,
Even given her a smile,
And try to escape,
At the very first chance.

No, I wouldn’t be rude,
Or call her names,
One incident doesn’t define,
An entire gender type,
My fear is my problem,
I won’t make it hers.

Once I was robbed,
By a group of transwomen,
And it has deeply scarred my mind.
I’m petrified by their very sight,
But mistreating them all,
It can’t be justified.

Featured image by: Moose Photos from Pexels

34 thoughts on “Transphobic Me

1. ben Alexander says:

typo here? “Even giver her a smile,”

BTW, not all trans people look the way you’ve described. I have a MTF acquaintance who looks totally female – no stubble, etc. The only thing that gives her away is that her voice is somewhat deeper than a biological woman’s voice would be.

Being the victim of physical violence can leave some hard to reconcile scars on the psyche. I am not surprised that there is residual fear. Although the gendered image of your trans attackers provokes that fear, it is their desperation that drove their actions, not their sexual identity. However, your experience may make it difficult to separate the two. Well written and honestly said!

1. Shreya Joshi says:

I know, Brad. The situation they are in, how people refuse giving them jobs forcing them to streets. It’s crazy that I was attacked on the same day I attended a seminar led by a trans woman. She was talking about all the problems she faced and how life on the street is rough. So, I stopped to give them some money. And that’s when they surrounded me.
      I’ve always steered clear of trans people ’cause I had seen many people around me get attacked. But that seminar made me wanna be nice to them, help them. That didn’t go well, though.
      I guess I’m not scared of all trans people, just the ones in the street. And I really hope things change and people actually start giving them jobs. It’s hunger that makes them act the way they do. πŸ’”πŸ’”πŸ’”

1. Shreya Joshi says:

It’s not fair to hold grudge when I know why they acted the way they did. All I have to do is stay safe. πŸ™ˆ And thank you so much!! β™₯️β™₯️β™₯️ I missed you too. πŸ’•πŸ’•πŸ’•

3. Vanya Rajwar says:

Ah I can totally understand. At times they scare me too especially since the time I have seen them dancing and clapping so near my face as if they want to hit me on the nose or something (asking for money which you had to give at the end).
    Ah well but that’s just how it is. I am also not against them but somehow I am not comfortable with them.

1. Shreya Joshi says:

So true… And worst part is that they don’t understand that sometimes we are in a tight situation too, and we might not always be mentally capable of handling their invasion of privacy. Once, I was in a train, a transwoman came and kissed my teacher and asked him for money.

4. Anagha. P. says:

Beautifully written! As a kid even I used to get scared with the way they approached me. Not because they were transgenders but because they were complete strangers. I used to always think they would harm me. But growing up I understood why they did what they did and their circumstances. ❀