A midnight love story

It was love at first sight
In a beautiful moonlit night
You stood alone by the beach
Enjoying the cool summer breeze.

I was taking a midnight stroll
When I laid my eyes on you
You waved at me with a dazzling smile
I just looked at you in awe.

You weren’t Greek god gorgeous
But you were enchanting to me
In a glimpse I fell in love
And all I wanted was you.

We stayed there and talked
Talked all night long
About life, death, love
And everything under the sun.

It went on night after night,
Spilled our heart out bit by bit.
Every moment was so surreal
With you I found bliss.

You always said, “love is pious.”
With a forlorn expression your face.
I always had the same reply
“You’re precious,” I’d say.

With all our heart we fell in love
Would do anything in the name of love
But our story had little twist
You loved her & I loved you!

Featured image by: Asad Photo Maldives from Pexels

70 thoughts on “A midnight love story

1. SumitOfficial says:

You’re too sweet. I meant it.
        I want you to remember that you’re the best, and that someone is waiting to hear your tears on the paper when you put them on paper.

You’ll find me in front of me, reading and looking at you. 🌺❤

Your words are giving me a kind of high that no drug would be able to. Not that I have tried any. 🤪😉 But I really think, nothing can make me feel better than this. 😝🙈🙈🙈

1. firewordsblog says:

Your final line turns this seemingly simple love poem into a potentially more complex exploration of love. Using indirect pronouns in that line scatters the potential meanings. The conventional, and probably your intended meaning of “You loved HER”, is that the lover loved another, but using the pronoun HER could actually mean you, the loved one, loved herself “too much” for the love to grow. Do not for a minute feel this is a judgement of you. “I loved YOU” could then mean “I loved and respected ME” and thus the lover could not handle your innocent and necessary love of yourself . Lovers who cannot respect this kind of self respect of their loved ones often are not 100% faithful anyway. Which loops back to the conventional interpretation. Your lover was not 100% faithful to your needs. In short, this is a story of love and heartache. I taught English for many years. If you have not already done so, take a look at the Victorian poet Robert Browning’s My Last Duchess. Now that is a poem which explores how innocent love can become horribly disfigured in the mind and action of a very possessive soul! It may take several readings to decipher the riddles and complex text, but worth trying. Let me know if you have any questions about the poem.

Wow!! Thank you so much for such an elaborate analysis and appreciation. I’ll definitely read the poem and delve into it’s depths. Also, I would love it if you could give me feedbacks on my works. Thank you so so so much for this!! This means so much to me❣️🙈🙈🙈🤗🤗🤗💕💕😘😘

2. J says:

So many have already commented how good this poem is. I was scrolling down to select something to read and I know I would like this before reading. But after reading, you deliver more than I expected. Though I already have high expectations. Keep writing, keep inspiring. May you reach great heights.

Thank you so much!! 🙈🙈🙈 I hope to keep delivering better. Your appreciation has given me a benchmark and I’ll try to keep it up. You’re awesome! ❣️❣️💕💕💕