When words run dry

Do you ever fear the day,
When all your words run dry,
There’re no emotions to write about,
Or beauty to be praised?

When everything seems so vain,
And you lose your desire to express,
And when you hold your beloved pen,
It’s just the empty white staring back.

And you try and try, with all your might,
But all your words have run dry.
There’s nothing left to express,
There’s no will to communicate.

You’re locked in an eerie solitude,
No, not the one that you cherish.
But one that keeps haunting you,
Makes you feel truly alone.

Cause even to your own self,
You have no words to say.
That’s my life’s greatest fear,
The inability to write.

Who am I,
If not for the things I write?
What if,
My words run dry?

Featured image by: Pixabay

110 thoughts on “When words run dry

1. The Bold Girl says:

Wow!!! I know that feeling. And you become so helpless and no matter how much you push yourself, you don’t have anything to write. But, you want to write even when you’re blank.😔😢

I loved this part the most –

“You’re locked in an eerie solitude,
    No, not the one that you cherish.
    But one that keeps haunting you,
    Makes you feel truly alone.”

I’m so glad you could relate to this. I thought it was only me, cause you see people say the more you write more seamlessly the words flow.
      I really hope you keep writing, even when you have no words.
      🤗🤗😘😘💕💕❣️❣️💖💖❤️❤️

1. The Bold Girl says:

Remember, I did mention in my poetry that I’d written for you? I did mention that I was once as active as you. Yes, that is true, no matter how active you have been, you still tend to lose control. Same goes for people who are not so active. I guess, it’s all of us who reach that stage at some point.

Yeah, I’d try to keep writing. And if I ever go blank, I think I’ll just giggle on my blog post and you on the other hand, can use your love for emojis.😜😜

2. Tushara Olivia says:

Sure dear. That fear always haunts me. When the words got completely drained, when we feels like not expressing anything.. that’s sad😰. In literature there is a word called Writer’s block. Many great writers too suffered it. So whenever such things happens we have to wait to get over it. Things will come right soon.😃😊💞

A common struggle and fear for any writer. As it is hard to determine exactly where our words come from, we fear, that if they ever stop, we won’t know what to do to get them back. But in patience and stillness, your words will always find their way home. Beautiful poem, Shreya! ❤🌹❤

Thank you so much, Ishita. So glad you could relate to this. I really hope this feeling never comes to get you. Sending you loads and loads of love. Keep writing! 🤗🤗😘😘❣️❣️❤️❤️💖💖💞💞💕💕

4. True Living says:

I know this feeling. It’s really familiar. Sometimes I start writing and then my head goes blank. For days I might not have anything to write. I keep staring at my notepad wondering if anything would ever come to mind. I get tired and decide to just relax my head and nerves. And not put pressure on myself. This is my way of trying to be in control of my emotions at the time. After days maybe weeks, words start popping into my head and I find the courage to continue from where I stopped. This phase happens to a lot of people. I think it’s best to relax your mind when you get to that stage. Know that it’s very normal and it’s meant to happen. The more you try to put pressure on yourself at that point to write the more your head becomes blank. Don’t worry I assure you that those words will definitely come out in no time. 🤗

5. Madhuri Sakhamuri says:

Well I never thought of it coz I just started…I hope I never run out of them…even if I did, I’ll look around with my eyes wide open at walls,floors,fan and everything speaks to you I guess…Beautiful shreya…Love:)

6. Era says:

It is so relatable Shreya, at times a lot of thoughts are running across mind, proper words to pen it down, are not found. That blank sheet stares and how much you try, you can not write after 2 or 3 lines and sometimes not even a word.
    Beautiful poem, Shreya 💕💕
    And I am running out of words for praising this amazing piece 💙💙

You don’t need to praise, Era. The mere fact that you read makes me feel so so so good. And the fact that you could relate to this makes me feel even better. Thank you so very much! 🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘❤️❤️❤️💖💖💖💞💞😍😍❣️❣️💕💕💕

7. Roshni says:

Oh Yeah! We all fear that day and most of us have been already there, and many have overcome it too. I’d say be patient when the moment comes because inspiration springs up at the most unexpected of times. Till then and even after, be amazing as always 🙂
    I know that no one compliments anyone on their fear. But here, I’m taking the liberty of doing so. Your poetry on your fear is beautiful 🙂

Thank you so much, Roshni. I really hope this fear just stays fear and never become a reality for either of us. Loads of love. 🤗🤗😘😘❣️❣️❤️❤️💕💕💞💞💖💖 Keep writing! ❤️

8. Shounak (the Paranoid) Sanyal says:

Well then it seemed Mr John Keating had rightly said that ” we don’t read and write poetry bcz it’s cute. We read and write poetry bcz we are the members of the human race, and the human race is filled with emotions and passion”, indeed what is a man (figuratively speaking of course) without emotions. It’s like a dead stream. Infact an alien invasion would be less catastrophic to humanity, than a human lost of ideas, creativity and feelings. But it seems mother nature has given us enough of thoughts, feelings and emotions that’d last a lifetime. So cheers to that. And I really like the topics that you’re writing these days. Really appreciable. And once again, nicely written, although I’m hardly anyone to critic. Now you didn’t mean writer’s block did you? Then I fear I’ve said too much 🙄

Now that your have said it all, what do I say… Losing our ideas and creativity would indeed be catastrophic!! And yeah, I was referring to a writer’s block that lasts all life long. And you didn’t say too much. I like reading stuff you say. 🤗🤗🤗😘😘😘❣️❣️❣️💖💖❤️❤️❤️ Thank you so much! 💖💖💖