Deflecting Appreciation

I told her she’s amazing,
She told me she’s not,
I told it to her again,
“Not as amazing as you,” she replied.

And I wondered,
Why does she not
Accept she truly really is
Such an amazing person?

“When it comes to writing about love,
You’re the king,”
That’s what I told him.
“You’re way better,” he replied.

And I wondered,
Why does he not
Accept the title
He truly deserves?

But then I realized,
Many a times, I do the same.
Deflecting appreciation,
Shying away from praise.

You see, we grew up that way.
Where calling ourselves amazing,
Is seen as being too proud,
And deflecting it, is the norm.

And many of us, along the way,
Deflecting all the appreciation,
We’ve truly forgotten,
How amazing we really are.

So, please, do yourself a favor,
Embrace all the appreciations,
With head held high and bright smile.
Cause dear, you truly deserve them.

Inspired by: Anushka, Srijan and Bharath

Featured image by: Pragyan Bezbaruah from Pexels

110 thoughts on “Deflecting Appreciation

1. Anushk@ says:

Oh my God.. Shreya 🙈🤩
    So this was a your surprise…
    I am flattered 😁🤞
    And that amazing thing…girl..u are amazing..trust me on that.. please 🤗
    You are love❤️

Well…I have nominated u for an award..do check it out ❤️

Thank you so much Anushka. I hope you always remember how amazing you are. I’ll definitely do the award. However, I may take some time. I still have a few pending awards. 🤪😬🙈🤗🤗😘😘😘😘

2. Kamya Seervi says:

Well, you deserve some appreciation for your work. This poem was thought provoking and it made me realise that sometimes I can leave my modesty aside and accept the fact that I’m good at something. Keep writing and inspiring! 🙂

3. Christina says:

Thank you so much for this. It is something I struggle with for sure. I re-posted to my page. I hope you don’t mind. I really think a lot of people will benefit from your observation. Have a beautiful day. 💚😁

Thank you so much Christina. It means a lot to me that you thought this poem worthy of being reblogged. Sending you lots of love. Have a beautiful day and stay safe! 🤗🤗😘😘💕❣️💖❤️

4. Mohamad Toutounji says:

Your poems are just what I need to start off my day happily
    Because they are so beautiful and passionate and inspiring
    ❤️🌹🌹

5. Untold Stories says:

This is true indeed. We do feel keeping away from praise shows us to be grounded so we do not accept it in first place. But it’s true Shreya, you know it you deserve all love and appreciation and you are doing great. This poem is a live example of same. I love and adore your work as well like many other do.

Your comment is making my heart flutter, as if they have grown a pair of wings. I just feel so adored, so special… Thank you so much. You’re such an important person to me in my blogging journey. Love you so so much! 🤗🤗😘😘💕💕💖❤️❣️❣️

6. srijan says:

i’m personally not really good w compliments. that’s just how i’ve always been 🙂
    a rather cute poem. and you’re the sweetest, really.

Thank you so much Srijan! I truly appreciate all your works. You bring emotions to like and make eternal love seem real. 🙈🤗🤗😘😘💕💕💖💖❣️❤️

Shreya, I have read and commented on many of your poems. I am always amazed at the beautiful art you create with your words. And I have watched that grow and blossom along the way. But this…this is a masterful composition! I felt like it spoke directly to me, and it would appear, from the comments you have received already, that many of your readers feel that too. What more could a poet ever ask for? So proud of you! Much love! ❤🥰❣

Thanks a million Brad. It means so much to me that you could directly relate to this one. I’m so so so happy. 🙈🙈🙈 Sending much love back to you! 🤗🤗🥰🥰🥰🥰😘😘😘😘💕💖

8. Asrar Qureshi says:

Very true to life. It is our training to shun appreciation and it is a good thing also. However, we overdo it and actually underestimate ourselves. Problem is it may lead to loss of some valuable opportunities, professional, personal, and emotional. Nicely said.

Thank you so much Asar. Your kind words has made me so much very happy. Your appreciation means a lot to me. Have a beautiful day and stay safe! 🤗🤗😘😘💖💕

9. Kaylen says:

This poem ‘s fire🔥… I loved it so so much ….do you mind if I share it in Google classroom with my creative writing club? All credit will be given of course.

It would be an honor Kaylen. There’s no way I’d mind something like that. Thank you so much! 🤗🤗😘😘💖💖💕💕❤️❣️❣️ I’m so so so happy you liked it. 🙈🙈🙈❤️❤️❤️😘😘💖💕

I’m the same too Hollie! But we can put in a little effort towards accepting appreciation and loving ourselves a little more. Sending you loads of love! Stay safe and take care! ❤️❤️😘😘💕💖❣️

1. The Bold Girl says:

The best people always have a tough time in accepting their capabilities. Morons are always confident and sometimes overconfident. I have observed this. You too take care!🤗🤗

Hope you ain’t jumping anymore!🤣🤣

I don’t think so… Just because someone is overconfident doesn’t classify them as morons… And this is me defending myself cause I’m overconfident about so many things. Like when I filled out a form for licence and failed the test and lot more… 😝😝😋😂😂😬🙈🙈🙈🙈

3. The Bold Girl says:

Hahahaha… That’s not called over-confidence. You’d definitely meet people or must have met probably if you’re a working individual where there would be someone who’s way to over-confident than someone who’s really wise and holds a lot of knowledge. The wise usually remains silent.

Thank you so much Aditi!! This means of lot to me. Your words has got my flying on cloud nine. 🤪🤪🙈🙈🤗🤗😘😘😘😘❤️💖💕 Sending you loads of love. ❤️

10. Anisha says:

That’s a much needed message, Shreya.
    Beautiful work as usual!

I asked my friend to accept any appreciation, just yesterday. Whenever I compliment someone, “Don’t joke” has become the most common response. I wish people change for the good, regarding this.

11. Navin says:

You are truly an amazing writer….being….you must know….this is a great reminder….a great way of telling….this forgetting tale….to feel appreciated….without deflecting ❤️🔥🤗🙏

Thank you, Shreya! 😬😬😬 I really feel nice writing your name cause it’s my name too… Idk why, but I really like the people I share my name with. 😝😝😝😂😂😂😂

Yeahhh, I’m Shreya Joshi. They are Shreya Silwal and Shreya Shrestha… We are so lucky to have different surnames… 😂😂😂😂 Else it’d be a chaos! 😂😂😂