The Legend of the Brontes

When you think of legends,
What comes to your mind?
Sword and battlefield,
Strong men in their armors,
Surge of their power,
Their courage and righteousness.
Oh! How awesome they were!
There are very few I say,
Women who are considered legends.
But those legendary women,
Were either born or married a queen,
Else she was an ideal patriarchal girl,
Deemed pure and virtuous.

But what happens to them,
The women who follow their dreams,
Battling the patriarchy, every single day?
Well, their character is drawn to question,
Stories of their life is assumed,
Anything to taint their image,
Everything to stop their journey.
World looks at them,
With vicious eyes of green envy.
Or is it just the cloud of fear that looms,
When women are ready to compete?

I’m talking about the Bronte sisters,
Their incestuous relationship with their brother.
Seriously?! All you great literature people?
You can’t write another Wuthering Heights,
Or poetry, as good as ‘Life’
So you try and defile their names…
What proof do you have,
Except your own assumptions?
The characters she created, from her imagination,
Her sheer creative power, her devotion to literature,
All called to question,
Cause Emily wrote a beautiful book,
That according to you, is impossible to think of ?
Would it still be the same, if they never came out?
Would they be questioned if they were
Currer, Ellis and Acton Bell??
Fuck the world Brontes, you are my legend!!

For Eugi’s Weekly Prompt: ‘Legend

Featured image: Painting of the Bronte Sisters, by their brother Branwell

55 thoughts on “The Legend of the Brontes

1. shadawss shadawss says:

But this is the first time I have reading that Bronte sisters have incestuous relationship with their brother. I think wuthering heights discusses about this kind relationship

2. shadawss shadawss says:

We can’t reject that assumption. Because it’s said that people this may have a relationship like this. Especially writers. Some people are abnormal in their attitudes and the things they are doing. It’s said that some writers are same sex relationships. All these things may help them to write. Some writers are facing mental disorders. But this things give them strength to write creatively

3. shadawss shadawss says:

It doesn’t matter. Studying is a enlightening process. If we are ready to study. You have studied about thing and shared about it.

1. Mohamad Toutounji says:

This was amazing!!
    But there was a sentence that caught my attention,
    I didn’t figure it out .
    Were they REALLY in an incestuos relationship with their own brother?
    Cuz that’s kinda weird

1. Mohamad Toutounji says:

I guess you’re right
        There were a lot of theories throughout the history about important people
        For example, there was a one that quite annoyed me that some people claimed that Leonardo Da Vinci was irregular or as they say”Homo” but that’s not true
        That great artist used to love nothing but his workshop and his drawings

But even if he’s Homosexual, what has it got to so with his work? Why do people have to bring up sexuality of artists every time? It’s one thing, if they are expressing their sexuality through their works, it’s another if their sexuality it drawn to limelight for no reason.

3. Mohamad Toutounji says:

I agree with you
        His work is what lead the world’s invention to a whole new era
        But I’m just clarifying that he wasn’t because people at his time in Florence used to say that because he didn’t have a relationship with a girl like any other guy
        His passion for art and science was amazing so he only loved his work
        I admire such a great man

4. Mohamad Toutounji says:

Oh thank you very much dear
        Take your time with it
        I just wanted to inform you
        Your opinion really matters to me

2. Aa'eedah says:

Emily Brontë is one of my most favourites. Her “Wuthering Heights” holds irreplaceable position in the world of English literature! Her “Remembrance” poem soaks my nerves into classic poetry. Charlotte and Anne were equally legendary in their work.

Your poem made me happy, made me smile like a baby. I feel elated. The opening was beautiful. Thanks, Shreya. It was a great read.

This is an exceptional piece of work, Shreya! A questioning of assumptions and unwarranted gossip steeped in the history of this family. I could make arguments both ways as to the true relationship between the siblings, but regardless of your position, it does not detract from their exceptional writing, which has gone on to become classic to literature. Well written and powerful! ❤

4. firewordsblog says:

My recollection is that Old Earnshaw brings Heathcliff to their home in the hills, telling his confused family that he found the boy child begging on the streets of Liverpool. Heathcliff is described as looking like a gypsy, with dark eyes, which is a hint that Heathcliff’s mother in the city may have had ethnic origins which would be an affront to Earnshaw’s local rural values. It was probably too risky, even for Emily Bronte, to provide the truth as to exactly what happened in the city, but it this was not the first time Earnshaw had been “out to town.”

I also remember Old Earnshaw’s death. He fell asleep in front of a fireplace with a blizzard and rain outside and never woke up. The weather and the fire are often interpreted as metaphysical imagery, that being earth, wind, fire and water, elements that seem to connect Bronte’s main characters to the eternal world. When Old Earnshaw dies, the elements were in a state of transition or unrest.

The story is originally told by a visitor, a tourist, named Lockwood. Lockwood is much too concerned with his own needs and limited perceptions to last very long in the story. He says he needs to be in the country to “clear his mind.” There does not seem to be much there to clear out, however. He is a bit of a dimwit. He cries and complains when he is woken up from a nightmare in the guest room. When Catherine’s ghost grabs his hand, with the snow blowing outside the broken window he pulls back, he cuts his wrist. He does not care about Catherine’s situation, only his own fears and discomfort. Heathcliff is woken by the noises and is mad with rage that Lockwood got to see the ghost of Catherine, rather than Heathcliff himself, the lover who has been waiting night and night for her to come to him.

Luckily, Lockwood’s storytelling is replaced fairly early in the novel by the busybody Nurse who is a great storyteller, even though she really messes with Catherine’s relationship with Heathcliff. The Nurse loves to keep secrets and manipulates their pain and pleasure. She is fascinating because Bronte made her an unreliable narrator. More complexity indeed! You never know whose side she really is on.

Heathcliff’s arrival and torrid love affair melts through several generations, and even results in Heathcliff digging up Catherine’s dead body to hold her. He just could not bear to be parted from her. Wow! Clearly Emily Bronte was pushing boundaries, even though she and her sister were severely limited by isolation and patriarc.

Wild Heart! Your post captures the Bronte spirit with passion and conviction. The Brontes must have known all about isolation and enforcement against women, but they sure used their imagination and limited means to create lasting art. As Shakespeare said in A Midsummer Night’s Dream, they “out of airy nothing, give a local habitation and a name.” Mind you, Shakespeare was not always kind to his women, did you know? Your post has had a huge impact again. You are a strong one Wildheart.

Thank you so much Xavier. Reading your comment makes me wanna go back and read the book again. There’s always something new to find with each read. Much love. 🤗😘😘❣️❣️❤️

5. firewordsblog says:

It amazes me that you are familiar with these classic stories from English literature. I only wish that I could understand the diverse languages that you do. I really do! That is a level of skill way beyond me. You know, the late 17th century language of Wuthering Heights is hard to understand when you read it word for word, even for people who were born and raised in English. That is what completely fascinates me about your multiculturalism. I think maybe you understand the intent of women writers like Bronte, without knowing all the linguistic details. For me, I gain so much from your ideas because you are at the intersection of cultures from the north, east and west. And right now we everyone in the world is connecting in this time of enforced isolation. so we are really trying to reach out and understand what is going on in other parts of the world and we want to see things from another point of view. I have never been to Nepal and perhaps you have not been to my continent or other places I have seen. For now, most of the “developed world” is in some level of lock down. Kind of like living in Bronte’s world, whether you are a man or a woman. Are you in lock down too where you are? There is so much we need to learn and you have much to share. Thanks so much Shreya.

Oh dear Xavier, how do you do this? Your words take me to cloud nine. I’m just a girl who likes to read, and you write praises like this for which I have no words. Nepal is in lockdown too. And while I miss going out, I’m also enjoying this. Especially waking up to birds chirping instead of cars honking. Much love. 🤗😘❤️❤️❤️ Take care & stay safe. 💕😘