Damsel in distress

Pretty little damsel in distress,
With beauty she was obsessed,
Would do anything to impress,
All she wanted to be, was a princess.

Never fighting her own to stress,
Forever a damsel in distress,
A pity seeking process,
To be rescued and turned to a princess.

Getting a prince would be her success,
Sought nothing more, nothing less.
Flaunting her breasts in her tiny dress,
Anything to catch a prince’s interest.

If you think this girl is a mess,
Blame the fairy tales!
From Cinderella to Snow White, all damsel in distress
Their success? To be a princess!

For NaPoWriMo – Day 3

Note: Girls are more than just pretty faces. They can grow up to be strong, powerful and independent women. Don’t nip their ferocity and voice with dumb fairy tales that portray women as docile and weak creatures who always need a man. Kudos to the new age fairy tales like Frozen, Brave and Moana!

Featured image by: Vương Nguyễn from Pixabay

71 thoughts on “Damsel in distress

Thank you so much dear. And I’m so sorry but didn’t respond earlier. There has been some glitch with my notification system. Your appreciation means a lot to me. Thank you. Much love. ❤️

The poem is lovely. Monotonal rhyming throughout a piece of this length is tricky at best, but you have pulled it off beautifully. A strong and necessary message for women everywhere. Very empowering! Well done, Shreya! ❤🥰😘

2. johncoyote says:

I raised-up three daughters. I taught then to be strong and how to fight. As parent. We must teach our children. They can be anything they desire. Good to be pretty or handsome. Better to be smart and confident.

Well said John! And kudos to you for raising your girls that way… I feel it’s pretty sickening that little girls who don’t even know what’s right and wrong are fed with this nonsense of ‘Prince Charming’ and are told be ‘pretty’ instead of ‘strong’ or ‘smart’ and so many other things… It’s little things like that said over and over again that truly harm a child’s mind. Wish you and your family good health and peace! ❣️🤗🤗

Thank you so much and sorry for not responding sooner. My notification system has some glitch. I still haven’t figured it out. Your appreciation means so much to me. Thank you so much! Much love. ❤️

3. Sidharth says:

Some are misled by the notion of being a beautiful princess
    But true beauty lies deeper, I guess.
    So no girl should stress about her dress
    When with her personality any prince she can easily impress.

Wonderful poem Wildheart. Your rhymes flowed like a glorious stream. Truly delightful my friend! 🙂

4. SpiritedSoul says:

I agree Wildheart. When I was young my mother tried reading all those fairy tales and I eventually hide the books so I didnt have to hear them again. It made me sad that only a princess was beautiful and worthy of a charming prince